David,

Since that is not what I proposed, I doubt that it would cause much enthusiasm, either. All declarations would be local by default, not requiring the local keyword, and things like print(i) would be prefixed.

Everett L.(Rett) Williams II

David Kastrup wrote:
Everett L Williams II <rett@classicnet.net> writes:

If local were the default, and items to be used elsewhere had to be
exported, just think how many other problems would become basically
impossible.

I don't think that an automatic transformation of

local i=3
do
  i=2
end
print(i)

into

local i=3
do
  local i=2
end
print(i)

is going to cause much enthusiasm among most users.