David,

Who cares whether it is ambiguous to a compiler (obviously, it shouldn't be). The thing that is important here is whether it is ambiguous to the poor guy who must read or write this stuff. If prefixing is required, and all variables not prefixed are local, then we have no ambiguity for the compiler or the interpreter or that poor guy that I was looking at in the mirror. Then, we can have as many environments as we are willing to import or make EXPLICIT by whatever means, and the compiler can optimize the heck out of the code. Of course, some poor guy will have to type a few more characters, and the result will be unambiguous and highly maintainable code that will be both initially fast and highly optimizable. Have I missed something here, or is it so important to give power to experts who want to write a whole program in one line, that we will obfuscate our way into oblivion.

Everett L.(Rett) Williams II

David Manura wrote:
There's nothing inherently ambiguous to a compiler here.