On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Francisco Sant'anna
<francisco.santanna@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Following the release of LuaGravity, I have just released Reactive Server
> Pages.
>
> Reactive Server Pages (RSP) bring some concepts of reactive languages to the
> realm of server-side web development.
> RSP rearrange the way web applications are developed.
> A web application conceptually becomes a single file that executes from its
> first to its last line.
> The programmer can use structured programming with loops and recursive
> calls.
> RSP are based on LuaGravity, which extends the Lua language with reactive
> data and control primitives.
>
> Any feedback is welcome.
>
> Homepage: http://www.lua.inf.puc-rio.br/~francisco/rsp/
>
> Git Hub: http://github.com/fsantanna/luarsp
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Francisco Sant'Anna
> http://www.lua.inf.puc-rio.br/~francisco/

I'm going to sound like a fanboy, but I'll say it anyways... You've
just obsoleted an entire generation of LAMP games. :)

There are a ton of games like Legend of the Green Dragon, Kingdom of
Loathing and Bloodletting built around the concept of executing
'searches' or 'adventures'. There is also a cottage industry of
cheating built around defeating the state mechanisms of those games to
get healing in the middle of a battle or to get extra attempts to
break out of the dungeon. Honestly, games are so much more fun when
you don't have to break character to be competitive. This can bring
that style of game back into "character space" and provide a platform
for text-based MMOs on the web to be more competitive with the
live-action crack for social interaction.

This is very much the kind of tool I was asking about yesterday - only
better. Not feature exhaustive with client-side, server-side and
server to server implementations of every protocol that might be
useful and a few others beside, but one or two straight forward
network implementations... enough to demonstrate the technique
required.

Twisted was a poor example. That started with a great idea, which you
nailed (duplicating some of the vocabulary even though the application
doesn't seem to have been consciously on your radar), but that project
has scoping issues. Here you've plugged into the existing
infrastructure perfectly. The WSAPI implementation is perfect.

Now to find where to plug RSP into my Xavante / Sputnik test stack... :)

Chris