Anyway, that's just my personal taste, and now that I know, I can easily live with it as it is right now. Though I would welcome to change that for Lua 5.2, at least allowing the local keyword, as it would not break backward compatibility.

You mean that the parser would accept the local keyword in "for local word in" but act exactly the same regardless? Because the absence of local couldn't imply global without breaking backwards compatibility. For that you'd need a global keyword instead.

 - Peter Odding