On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 11:38, Valerio Schiavoni
<valerio.schiavoni@gmail.com> wrote:

> if I want to use tables as keys, is it possible to compare the new key
> with existing keys by value (and not by reference) ?

> In general, what is the approach in using complex datatypes as keys in tables?

<...>

> I think in java this is the common scenario where a custom equals()
> method is implemented to avoid duplicates in a container.

> Do I need to implement my own table implementation perhaps?

You need to do your comparison manually.

In general, this is not a trivial task (tables may contain
cross-references etc.).

See this for complete (I think) implementation:
http://github.com/lua-nucleo/lua-nucleo/blob/master/lua-nucleo/tdeepequals.lua

Alexander.