Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:
AFAIK, MacOS applicatons used \r was as a paragraph separator in text
files; not as a newline.  it doesn't have anything to do with the OS
itself; especially since there wasn't any terminal back then.

Could be. I've donated my ancient Manx C compiler to a museum and I don't have Apple's development environment installed on the Mac 68K emulator (both had a Unix-like console), so I can't check.

On the other hand, I *should* have checked on OS X before posting nonsense.

  Enrico