> I am not sure, but after pondering more and more on this issue, I come
> to believe that the assignment order should be defined, both, left
> side and right side order. Without such a statement, this could end up
> in bugs that are hard to track down - and may end up in abolishing the
> multiple assignment order at all.

Undefined order in parallel assignments is no lua speciality, I have also had this for example when I was programming in scheme, and I would think that there are other languages with the same property. If you just think of multiple assignments as parallel assignments (i.e. happening at the same time), you're all set. It has the semantics of the assignments happening at the same time. There's nothing wrong with that.

Gunnar