> Lexical scope was invented because dynamic scope makes programs
> difficult to understand.

I guess lexical scope came first (with lambda calculus). Dynamic
scope was created by a bug in the implementation of lexical scope:

  In modern terminology, lexical scoping was wanted, and dynamic scoping
  was obtained.  I must confess that I regarded this difficulty as just
  a bug and expressed confidence that Steve Russell would soon fix it.

  History of LISP, John McCarthy. HOPL I, 1978.

-- Roberto