Jorge <xxopxe@gmail.com> writes:

> I'd like to rise a question that seems to be being avoided in the
>
> _G and _ENV are _UGLY.
>
> Why all caps? Why the underscore thing? I know it make them look C-ish,
> and that's totally hardcore, but all caps and the underscore thing isn't
> used anywhere else in Lua (or is it?).
>
> AND the real final match should have been Uruguay-Germany, not this
> stud fest.

Uruguay did not deserve "winning" against Ghana.  A red card for a
_defense_ player who chooses to play handball in the last minute of the
extension is actually a reward since it improves the chances of winning
the penalty shootout (the good players get to shoot again earlier).  Too
bad a referee can't award a goal when the ball does not cross the line
for reasons not having anything to do with soccer.

And I have no issues with Spain winning over Germany: they played
excellent soccer, very fast and well-combined, in that game.  A lot of
very good soccer was to be seen on both sides, and while the game could
well have ended the other way round, it also could have ended with a
stronger result.  I think it was about the best game I have seen in the
tournament.

And while I have not followed closely, I believe that the Netherlands
were playing reasonably well before the finals, too.

But the game yesterday... yuch.  If the referee would have rewarded
every obvious red card, without being worried about giving those a
second yellow card that clearly asked for it (sometimes in open argument
after felling their opponent), the game would have been decided quite
earlier in a democratic manner by a plain majority voting with their
feet.

One has to admit that both sides were quite successful in destroying
that kind of soccer that had brought the respective other side into the
finals.  And the leftovers particularly on the Dutch side were not
pretty.

And _G and _ENV are ugly, too.  Maybe a quite longer name would be
better: perhaps it is more educational if they are hard to write rather
than to read.

--
David Kastrup