Quoting Geoff Leyland <geoff_leyland@fastmail.fm>:

On 12/07/2010, at 5:14 AM, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

I still think the main problem is non-intended assignment to globals,
which creates hard-to-find bugs. The simple policy of requiring a global
declaration to assign to globals would force programmers to consider
whether they really want a global variable.

One possible downside of this is that this very simple Lua program:

a = "Hello World"
print(a)

becomes:

global a = "Hello World"
print(a)

(or "local a...").  Does this make Lua harder to learn?

Geoff

Arrrrrrrgh!

I thought ONLY within a function one would have to use the "global" prefix and not use the prefix at the top level.