On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 10:50, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 7:09 AM, David Manura <dm.lua@math2.org> wrote:
>> Penlight implements such a "path manipulation" module [1,2].

> Note that the new canonical documentation URL is:

> http://stevedonovan.github.com/Penlight/api/modules/pl.path.html

> This is basically a translation of Python's os.path; not that I felt
> that this was obviously a superior API, simply a de facto standard
> that has been around the block a few times and has proved useful to a
> lot of people.  However, it's part of a framework and so dependent on
> other bits of Penlight (particularly pl.utils)  So there's still a
> need for a stand-alone library.

<...>

So, what do you guys think? Should we simply copy Penlight API?

> Plus, cross-platform does matter, although I suppose system management
> scripts are unlikely to need to stretch across both Windows and POSIX.

Indeed. I think that we should not strive to allow user to write
cross-platform scripts (too many subtlietes). But the library itself
should be cross-platform.

On to the other hand, it should be possible to write cross-platform
code complex enough to cover LuaRocks needs...

Alexander.

Alexander.