On 4 July 2010 12:50, KHMan <keinhong@gmail.com> wrote:

> An impossible social issue to settle, I rather think, since the range of
> skills is very wide. Like many Perl users, I can only type away on a
> keyboard in a subset of Perl, so that's one unintended way of allowing
> beginner and expert use to coexist. Can one say I am using precisely the
> same Perl? Maybe not, since I am practising TIMTOWTDI without any skills to
> code in "other ways". This would also not work with a small fat-free
> language.

Looking back at my first Warcraft addon, there are a few locals within
functions, but every other variable was a (mostly) distinctively named
global. Performance was fine. I was able to learn and get to like Lua
before grasping the subtleties of lexical scoping, which I personally
appeciate- friendly for beginners and powerful for advanced users.

Vaughan