(This makes tight loops that do not create
objects "atomic", however.)
Can you elaborate? Could these changes affect the way my Lua&  OS
threads work together? (i.e. is there anything I need to be aware
of, or change, when migrating up to 5.2)
The implementation now only may switch threads when creating objects
(or calling functions). So, in a loop like

   for i=1,1000000000 do
     <some-complex-numerical-computation-without-calling-functions>
   end

the running thread will block access to this Lua state until the loop ends.

-- Roberto

Ouch!! I'm pretty sure this will affect our implementation... thanks for the info Roberto! I'll certainly have to weigh this issue before considering updating to 5.2 ;-)
Matt