Update:
It was pretty easy to write a full Lua interpreter for android / java. Excluding the android project boilerplate, this is all I needed to get a fully working interpreter, including the reflection based J2SE bindings. I am impressed by androids Java compatibility!

http://github.com/krka/kahlua2/blob/5ee26319befcecb3f7c708e2489df1510203649c/contrib/androidinterpreter/src/se/krka/kahlua/android/KahluaInterpreter.java