I attempted to do this some time ago.  I eventually decided to install a command-line client (an XMPP chat client, not email), and then run os.execute to get it to work,  But all indications seem to say that it's possible.  I just didn't want it enough.

I didn't look into the Luaxyssl library - I was working with LuaSec.  But, I learned a bit about encryption (although not enough to teach) from the following tutorials and websites, which I hope you find useful:
--Testing your connections (also details the need for base-64 passwords and usernames)
http://qmail.jms1.net/test-auth.shtml
--Setting up client side security certificates:
http://www.felipe-alfaro.org/blog/2009/05/10/have-postfix-relay-e-mail-to-gmail/
http://www.andrews-corner.org/mutt.html#ssl
-Info on SSL/TLS:
http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html

None were in Lua (which is surprising), but all try to establish a connection from APIs which you should be able to access or emulate with Lua.
--
Kevin Vermeer