What would actually be involved with planning this?
No pressure, but just north of Toronto is somewhere I could actually
afford to go this year :)
There are a number of tasks involved, but many of them need not be
done by somebody local (i.e. you). In the following list, several of
the tasks are optional---it depends to some extent on what your
audience expects and/or what you can offer.
1. Arrange a location.
2. Arrange for AV equipment.
3. Arrange catering or put together a list of where people might want
to go eat.
4. Arrange hotels (or give folks a list)
5. Announce the event (to whatever lists, organizations, etc are
6. Put out a call for speakers
7. Put together a schedule of talks/events.
8. Find $$ if any of the above aren't free.
9. Arrange to audio and/or video stream the talks. Or, arrange to
record them and post them later.
10. Print out the schedule; put it and other thins in a packet for
11. Serve as MC.
12. Put together a list of things attendees can do (local
attractions) when they're not in the workshop.
I'm forgetting some, I'm sure. But let me reiterate that not all
these things need to be (should be) done by one person. Moreover,
I'm more than willing to volunteer to help.