> I'm trying to understand how stepmul and pause parameters
> work in generational mode.
>
> Added printfs to generationalcollection(), it seems that
> _ every second luaC_step in generational mode is a full collection _.

You said "it seems that ..."; can you check that?

> Changing "setstepmul" and "setpause" change frequency of the steps,
> but still every second step is a full one.

If that is really happening, it may be because most objects the program
creates are going to the old generation (that is, they are not becoming
garbage fast enough). The first nursery collection frees very litle, so
the collector tries a full collection.

> How these parameters should be set?

This is something we are trying to find out too ;)

-- Roberto