On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 3:16 AM, Patrick
<spell_gooder_now@spellingbeewinnars.org> wrote:
> I can program in a few dynamic languages but the only compiled one I know is
> C.
>
> C is perfect in several ways, it can run on "bare metal", it's small and
> fast but I can't transfer several useful concepts from Lua back to C. Simple
> code like this seems problematic to me in C:
> SomeTable= {Lua = "fun", a = 1, b = 2, c = 1 + 2}

this kind of things can be expressed in C by using a library.  after
all, most of standard C is in fact just the standard library.

i'm sure there are lots of good libraries for this; but one i find
particularly easy to understand is Lua itself.  even if in some part
of your C code don't use Lua code, you can still create a Lua state
and fill it with your own tables, all handled with C code.

> Is there another complied language that is similar to Lua?

i think there's somewhere a Lua2c 'compiler', that turns Lua bytecode
into the equivalent C code that does the same by using Lua API calls.
the speed gains aren't important (and i think LuaJIT is far, far,
better than that); but it can be closer to what you're looking for.

--
Javier