  I've just released syslogintr, a syslogd replacement (assumes a modern
Unix type system---tested under Linux, partially under OS-X and compiles
under Solaris) that uses Lua for processing syslog messages.  You can
download it from:

	http://www.conman.org/software/syslogintr/

  It's been in production use for four months now, so the code is pretty
solid and most (hopefully, all) of the bugs have been shaken out and
squashed.  The actual network and parsing of syslog messages is done in C,
with the actual storing, filtering, processing, etc, done in Lua.

  It currently only supports Unix sockets and UDP (both unicast and
multicast addresses); it also supports IPv4 and IPv6 addresses, and relaying
to other syslog daemons (IPv4 to IPv4, IPv6, to IPv6, IPv4 to IPv6 and IPv6
to IPv4, it doesn't really matter).

  The documentation is (to be truthful) a bit light, but I wouldn't mind
comments, questions, etc about it.

  -spc (Thanks for your time)