I am trying to install Luadoc (on a CentOS system). Several hours later... this is obscure and baffling.

At http://luadoc.luaforge.net/manual.html#installation it says:
"LuaDoc also depends on two external packages: LuaFileSystem and LuaLogging, and you'll need to install them accordingly."

Those in turn require LuaRocks. I have installed all three.

It says: 'The library follows the package model for Lua 5.1, therefore it should be "installed".' It's not clear what "installed" (in quotes) means. It says "Refer to Compat-5.1 configuration section about how to install it properly." I'm running Lua 5.1, so do I need to install Compat-5.1?

It says "The launcher script, namely luadoc.lua for Unix and luadoc.bat for Windows, should be installed in your system PATH, so that it can be executed. " and "On Unix boxes, the file luadoc.lua could be used as a script;". There is no file luadoc.lua. There is a file, in the src directory, called luadoc.lua.in, which seems to be the launcher script.

Then I did a "luarocks search luadoc", followed by "luarocks install luadoc", which did seem to do something. Eventually I found in my user directory the hidden directory, ~/.luarocks/bin, and there an executable shell script called luadoc. Going in there and doing ./luadoc --version finally returns some success. I suppose I could put that in my PATH... but is this really the way to install Luadoc? Or the Lua way?

Any suggestions or revelations welcome,
Cheers,
Mark