I'm hoping to make something a little more "natural" feeling; instead
of calling into Perl, you'll be able to have handles to Perl data in
your Lua code, and vice versa.  You should even be able to extend Perl
objects and whatnot.

Example using Perl's AnyEvent::XMPP library:

require 'perl'
perl.require 'AnyEvent'
perl.require 'AnyEvent::XMPP::IM::Connection'

local cond = AnyEvent:condvar()
local conn = AnyEvent.XMPP.IM.Connection:new {
  jid = 'somebody@core.im',
  password = 'somePa$$word',
}

conn:reg_cb('session_ready', function()