On 12.04.2010 at 09:28 Javier Guerra Giraldez wrote:

>2010/4/12 Andreas Falkenhahn <andreas@airsoftsoftwair.de>:
>> I can't imagine a case
>> where I'd need to set this to a different address than 127.0.0.1 but
>then again, I'm
>> just starting out with LuaSocket (& sockets in general)....
>

>au contraire, if you only bind to 127.0.0.1, the socket won't go to
>the network; only to the local loopback 'interface'.  IOW, it wouldn't
>be accessible by other machine.
>
>the default is '*', meaning 'all IP addresses held by this machine'

Ah, okay, thanks for clearing this up :)

But the LuaSocket docs don't say that '*' is the default. In fact, the address
argument is listed as mandatory. That is why I was under the impression
that the address argument is something that will differ from case to case.
But obviously, this is not the case. 90% of the users will probably use
'*' as address then. So it would probably be wise to either make the
address argument optional (with a default fallback to '*') or mention in the
bind docs something like:

"Normally you will want to use '*' as address"

Just my 2 cents :)

Andreas
--
"Remember: It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!"