On 4/2/2010 6:05 PM, Jon Nalley wrote:
Nice work!

I am curious why you decided to implement the tar reader in straight
lua vs. creating lua bindings to a C library like libarchive?

http://code.google.com/p/libarchive/

I like hacking in Lua better than C.

The various list discussions comparing the performance of Lua to other languages was also an influence. Particularly seeing how well LuaJIT does. It seems to me there's little reason not to write in Lua.

I'm having a problem with opening multiple files inside an archive. Well not really a problem, I just seek back to the correct position before every read. But this would be so much simpler if I could duplicate the handle, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this other than adding a module to export `dup`. Is there something I'm missing that will allow this?

--
- tom
telliamed@whoopdedo.org