> Fast error status returning versions of lua_pushlstring and
> lua_newuserdata() would be most welcome to me.

I expect this to mean that these functions would need to be run in
protected mode, which will slow down things. Out-of-memory situations
should be very rare. Moreover, a program is usually constrained in that
case: there's not much you can do if there's no memory, except try to
free some of your own memory and try again. I think starting your Lua
high-level transactions with lua_cpcall let's you do that. Trying to
recover from every possible error at the point they occur seems too much
for too little.

> The dance required to get strings and boxed pointers passed to lua
> callbacks is borderline ridiculous. :)

What do you mean exactly?