There is another readline-like library here http://www.ludrao.net/home/teel. It is more focused on the embedded/remote use case (it does not suppose you have stdin/stdout files but rather uses callback to read and write) I have been using it for providing an "advanced" Lua interactive remote shell over telnet. It was made so to easily enable adding new key bindings, and also trying to minimize network usage (it does not echo back the complete line each time a character is entered)

While searching for a tiny embeddable readline library I also found this one that is middle-way between a full (heavy) featured readline and a super light one. (http://clish.sourceforge.net/clish-0.7.3/group__tinyrl.html)

Cuero