Hey all, (to the Lua list, CC'd to the GSoC list in case people are interested)

Google's Summer of Code programme encourages students to work on
open-source software during their summer break. Google publishes a
list of mentoring organisations and allows students to submit
proposals for projects they can do over the summer. Google then
sponsors the selected students with money, but *most* importantly,
also a t-shirt :)

Lua isn't actually participating as a mentoring organisation, but I
guess there may still be people on this list who are eligible (or know
of someone who is) for working on a Lua-related project over the
summer, so here's a list of potential projects and mentoring
organisations I compiled to help you out:

Nmap Security Scanner
   The Nmap Scripting Engine uses Lua.
   http://nmap.org/soc/#nsescripts

Battle for Wesnoth
   A turn-based tactical strategy game with a "high fantasy theme".
The AI can be scripted in Lua.
   (you may remember Wesnoth from this post about using Lua by esr:
http://lwn.net/Articles/321910/ )
   http://wiki.wesnoth.org/SoC_Ideas_Lua_AI

Asterisk
   Although their ideas page doesn't mention Lua their organisation
profile is tagged with "lua" on the GSoC site - I believe it supports
Lua scripting.
   http://svnview.digium.com/svn/asterisk/team/group/gsoc-2010/ideas.txt?view=markup

FreedroidRPG
   FreedroidRPG is a mature open source sci-fi isometric role playing
game. It is scripted in Lua.
   http://freedroid.sourceforge.net/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ToDo/OpenJobs

VideoLan (VLC)
   VLC supports Lua scripting, they are looking for students to write
some scripts for various features.
   http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2010#Set_of_lua_extensions

Prosody XMPP server (c/o XMPP Standards Foundation)
   A Jabber/XMPP (the protocol used by e.g. Google Talk) instant
messaging server written almost entirely in Lua.
   http://prosody.im/gsoc (see also
http://blog.prosody.im/google-summer-of-code-2010/ )

GNU
   A mention of a project to write a Lua->Guile compiler.
   http://www.gnu.org/software/soc-projects/ideas-2010.html#guile

Freifunk (LuCI, embedded, networking, etc.)
   Freifunk (German for Free Radio) is an initiative to support the
development of tools for free mesh networks. Lots of Lua-related
project ideas.
   http://wiki.freifunk.net/Ideas

More info on Summer of Code 2010 can be found here: http://socghop.appspot.com/

If you do choose to apply, good luck! And if I missed any projects, sorry...

Matthew

PS. I created this list by writing a quick (Lua!) script to scan the
ideas pages of all the accepted organisations, a Mercurial repository
is here: http://code.matthewwild.co.uk/gsoc-lua (requires LuaSocket,
LPEG, and optionally LuaSec 0.4 [some of the pages are on https://
URLs]). The library I used for parsing was designed for TSV files, and
doesn't handle the ""-escaped commas in this CSV, which is why the
repo contains a .csv file with commas replaced where necessary.
Patches welcome :)