Hello.

I am part of a group doing a project for a virtual machines course. Our project consists on studying the Lua virtual machine and an implementation part, for which we've chosen to change the GC algorithm used by Lua. We have decided to implement a "Tri-color Marking" algorithm instead of the current Incremental Mark-and-Sweep one.

Our problem (pointed to us by the course's teacher) is that, usually, mark-and-sweep algorithms implement some variation of Tri-color Marking. We will study Lua's source code in detail but, to formalize the project proposal, we need to find out quickly if Lua's GC algorithm implements Tri-color marking.

So, I would be very thankful if someone could answer this question.

Thank you in advance.

~ Filipe Silva
filipe.silva@ist.utl.pt