On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:25 AM, steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Vincent Torri <vincent.torri@gmail.com> wrote:
> another : with linking against a dll, you have to be sure that the dll is in
> the PATH,

Not true, you can feed gcc a full path to the DLL and it will link
against it fine.

what i said is not completely false. I said : "you have to be sure that etc...". I didn't say that it is impossible. And the link i gave in my previous mail says all the different possibilities about how to link against the dll. (passing -L/path/to/dll, passing the complete path, etc...)

They tend to recommend this practice because it's
generally faster than using an import lib.

the link is faster, the executable is certainly smaller too. But there are disadvantages too. See link in the previou mail.

> and you have to redistribute the dll too with your app / lib

Well, you would have to do that anyway ;)

Sorry, i was not precise enough here: except with static linking. Currently, we can't do that with lua. For Windows CE (and small devices like set top box), i tend to do static linking.

Vincent Torri