They used to be written by hand (Xavante's is like that). When I had
to write documentation for Orbit I hacked up a quick generator script
that uses a cosmo template and markdown files for the individual
pages. Orbit and WSAPI use it.

http://github.com/keplerproject/wsapi/blob/master/doc/us/makedoc.lua
http://github.com/keplerproject/orbit/blob/master/doc/us/makedoc.lua

The project information and template is hardcoded in the script; I
figured the logic itself was too little code to package up in a Lua
module, and we didn't have LuaRocks back then, so having to deal with
yet another module would be more overhead.

Norman Clarke was working in a proper static website generator:

http://github.com/norman/grackle

--
Fabio Mascarenhas