On 10/03/2010, at 11:02 AM, Mike Pall wrote:

> Geoff Leyland wrote:
>> On the other hand, since the shootout appears to judge on the
>> median, it's probably knucleotide you want to make faster.
>
> Actually it's picking fannkuch as the median. And although it
> looks really simple, it's the hardest to optimize of them all
> (for a trace compiler).

I'm not quite sure I understand how the shootout statistics work, and it's a bit  puerile to game benchmarks, but you can make nbody about 9% faster by using numeric rather than string indexes for the planet data.  Unfortunately, I think that to make a difference you'd need to get it under the median, maybe requiring a 30% improvement.

Cheers,
Geoff