On Mar 9, 2010, at 2:32 PM, Tony Finch wrote:

>> WTF do they prefix every variable with "a" though?
>
> It's hungarian notation for dynamic languages :-)

:P

A naming convention I picked back in my obj-c days:

http://cocoadevcentral.com/articles/000083.php#7

E.g.:

-- archetype, class, module, etc
local DB = require( 'DB' )

-- specific instance
local aDB = DB( 'sqlite://' )

Of course, one could argue that an expressive one letter code such as, hmmm, let me think, 'd' would be plentiful enough to fully express the meaning, complexity and nuances of such a variable... but... to each his own... des goûts et des couleurs, on ne discute pas.