Doug Rogers wrote:
Since 5.2 is still undergoing change, I'm wondering if the authors would consider changing the (not well documented) behavior of select() for negative indexes?

Apologies for replying to myself. I realized that I had checked the code but not the documentation in 5.2. The documentation in 5.2 properly defines the behavior for negative indexes down to -n.

But I'm still interested in the other two things (below -n as an error versus 1, and a means to get the arguments from the beginning.

Doug