Lua for Windows (http://luaforwindows.luaforge.net/) already has the Lua interpreter and several Lua modules. Last month I have also built a version of LuaRocks that can work with LfW so you can install new packages and upgrade the ones that you already have. See this message on the LuaRocks mailing list:

http://lists.luaforge.net/pipermail/luarocks-developers/2010-January/001408.html

To compile C modules from source you are going to need the Windows Platform SDK, and the process is a little involved.

I added mingw support for LuaRocks, but the mingw .lib file for the version of MSVCRT that Lua for Windows uses is a little flaky, and some Lua libraries fail to compile, so using the (free as in beer) MSVC is still your best bet.

I am sure the heavier Windows users are going to chime in with suggestions, too. :-)

--
Fabio Mascarenhas