>> 1) Simplest loop-invariant code motion optimization should be able to hoist closure creation out of the loop.

Ahm... I am wrong. You can't simply hoist closure creation in the presence of functions environments (different closures might actually end up having different environments).

--
e.v.e

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Vyacheslav Egorov <mister.aleph@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

>> * Is there a better way to write this in stock Lua?

If

while true do ... end

pattern is common then I would recommend creating a helper function loop

local function loop (object, actions)
  while true do object:receive (actions) end
end

this would at least solve problems with Increment/Value/Lock messages.

>> * If one were to make changes to Lua to try to get both clarity and efficiency, what would those changes be?

0) Honestly speaking I don't think that stock Lua needs actors.

1) Simplest loop-invariant code motion optimization should be able to hoist closure creation out of the loop.

LuaJIT2 may already be capable of something like this.

2) In Haller&Odersky papers receive looks more like pattern matching, so you could call metalua and ask for some help:

match mbox:receive() with -- mbox:receive() yields or blocks depending on implementation
  | Value -> dst:send( msg or 'Result', value )
  | _ -> -- bark
end.

Actually with metalua on your side you could even hack together Odersky-style 'receive' block.

--
e.v.e