On Jan 23, 2010, at 5:13 PM, Mark Hamburg wrote:

> in-do-end really does suggest stack-based rather than function-based global scoping -- i.e., the dynamic-scoping proposal.

Specifically:

	in env do
		f()
	end

What am I "doing"? I'm calling f. Now, if f is a global that I will now look up using env it makes some sense to say that I am calling f in env, but if f is a local then the act of calling f has pretty much nothing to do with env and the notion that I'm caling f in env is potentially misleading.

This is not an argument for dynamic scoping. That should be argued based on what it makes easier v harder, what it means as a language change, etc.

It is, however, an attempt to figure out why so many people look at in-do-end and expect what amounts to dynamic scoping.

Mark