Another interesting thought is if it should return all indexes it can find:

local blah, this_is_nil, bleh = string.split("this  that", "%s")
or
local blah, bleh = string.split("this  that", "%s")

You could also allow for a third parameter (true/false/nil) to decide
if it should respect split strings of 0 length. (true enabling that as
most split() functions (imo) avoid it)