Btw., is there some decent, "resumable"- RNG for Lua around?
What I want is essentially a "getrandomseed", which returns the current seed
and can thus be used for resuming the generation of random numbers later,
with perfectly predictable output.

I know this sounds ridiculous at first, but it would be quite useful for me,
and a fair number of other possible applications come immediately to mind...

For my purposes it'd also be important that the RNG yields the same series of
numbers (for the same seed) on every platform, but that should be a given if
it's a module.