Rob Kendrick wrote:
Hi,

I find myself writing code that looks a lot like this quite often:

	local foo, err = make_foo()
	if not foo then return nil, err end

	local bar, err = make_err()
	if not bar then return nil, err end

Looking at the output of luac -l, it looks as if this wastes a register
because Lua doesn't reuse the register allocated to the first local
definition containing an "err" for the second, even though the first is
no longer accessible, and never (I think) will become accessible again.
Two questions:
1) Is there some reason I've missed why it is essential that Lua behaves this way?

I don't think it's essential, but rather a consequence of a design choice (a sensible one, I think).

Lua expects some instructions (OP_CALL, OP_RETURN, OP_SETLIST, OP_CONCAT, etc.) to have their arguments in consecutive registers so that 3 operand instructions can cover all these cases; the operands just need to know the base register and the count to say "do something with this range of registers".

If the Lua compiler did [insert favourite algorithm] register allocation, you'd end up reusing registers lower down the stack, and when an instruction were encountered which wanted to operate on a list of values, then they'd need to be moved into consecutive registers, some of which would then need to be allocated anyway.

So let's say the first `err' in this case were $R2, then the final return might conceptually turn into something like:

OP_RETURN ($R3, $R2)

which would mean that you'd either need to encode the particular offsets of the registers into the return instruction (perhaps by storing signatures as constants and then decoding them as the Parrot VM does, and bloat the bytecode and VM footprint by doing so), or move them into position, in which case you'd end up allocating $R4 to hold $R2 for the return instruction anyway and waste move instructions.

There are other ways of slicing this problem, but I think that the way Lua does it is simple and keeps it fast, and nested lexical scopes are frequent enough that complex functions can yield code with surprisingly small stacks, so you really don't gain much by using aggressive register allocation.

	2) Am I right in thinking that the value stored in the first err
	   will not be garbage collected until the scope containing both
	   errs is left?

Here I'm not 100% sure, my GC Fu is limited, but I think that it's not just until the scope containing both has left, but more specifically that all the values held by the registers at any point in the function are considered reachable, so if you're seeing a register not being reused in the scope of the containing function, then it would still have it's previous value (like the first `err' in this case), and therefore wouldn't be eligible for collection.

Consider:

function foo()
   local a = { }
   do
      local b, c = { }, { }
   end
   local d = { } -- the register for `b' is reused, `b' can be collected
   -- at this point `c' isn't collectible although its scope has exited
end

The distinction here would be that although a scope is introduced, there's no guarantee that registers allocated to locals inside are going to be overwritten with new values later on after the end of the block, thereby making their previous values collectible (all this would require would be that there were more locals declared inside the block than outside it), so registers can remain reachable after their scope has exited, but not after the function to which they're bound has exited (barring upvalues, of course).

Anyway, I think that's the deal, but I'm open to correction.

Cheers,
Richard Hundt