On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Mark Hamburg <mark@grubmah.com> wrote:
that they've been consigned to the debug library which we all know
we're not supposed to use (mostly), it's that they are more powerful
than the old routines since they can muck with native structures like
userdata and C functions.

Then how about bringing the old boys back through an extension?

Granted, they still have the alarming power that Roberto has
highlighted. But there may be a few little cases where they are
appropriate tools, mostly on the framework level.  This is why I'm not
anxious at all about setfenv/getfenv depreciation, since they are only
now needed in quite special circumstances, and they can always be
imported if there is an absolute need.

Being a separate extension helps with the encapsulation issue. And it
is easy to cripple these guys without patching the Lua core.

steve d.