[edited for brevity]

On Jan 12, 2010, at 4:25 PM, Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:

> The main motivation was that, in our view, setfenv/getfenv was too
> dynamic.

Hmmm... since when is there such a thing as "too dynamic" in Lua?

> In other words, almost anything can change the environment of anything.

Yes, and?

> We tried to restrict such uses.

Why? We are all consenting adults, no?

To quote your own words, albeit in a different context:

"Therefore, Lua avoids too much redundancy and artificial restrictions. If you do not want to access something inside an object, just do not do it."

http://www.lua.org/pil/16.4.html