2010/1/12 Nevin Flanagan <Alestane@comcast.net>:
> lua_setfenv and lua_getfenv can affect userdata afaik, and will continue to exist in the C API. However, the functions _G.setfenv and _G.getfenv as they are visible inside Lua have never been able to affect userdata, or indeed anything other than Lua closures.

Ok, now it is clear, thank you.

Anyway I believe that my arguments remains valids since I'm saying
later that they should be either first class functions either they are
debugging hacks. Please note that Roberto in PiL discourages people to
use the debug library unless strictly required for "special" hacks.

Francesco