steve donovan <steve.j.donovan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 9:01 PM, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>> I was of the impression that the point of token filters was that they
>> were to convert something _not_ being syntactically valid Lua into Lua.
>
> This is totally true, excuse the woolly thinking. It should be
> possible to combine filters which implement separate syntax changes,
> providing these do not conflict with each other.

I see little chance of that except for really trivial things.  Instead
of a pipe of sequential transformation _passes_, there needs to be
sequentialization at parser lookahead analysis, where one token filter
can say "Current lookahead makes no sense to me.  Other takers?" and
then resume work after some other token filter has declared "Oh, I take
this one.  Let me transform this into xxx and then everybody (else?) can
have another look."

--
David Kastrup