On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 7:37 PM, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
> It's one "wouldn't it be cool" after the other, and each one costs just
> a little.  And then we have the "wouldn't it be more consistent now"
> phase which just costs a little.  And then we are back to the "wouldn't
> it be cool" phase.

Having been burnt by such C++ code, I have to agree.  Makes us
grateful that the Lua authors are such conservative engineers, in the
good sense of the word.

But, as Mark says, it closes a gap: array-like objects can now
delegate their implementation. Any decent language has features which
are meant to be used by framework builders, who are assumed to
intelligent _and_ sensible. This may be a rather strong condition ;)

An interesting question would be: how do we know when we've arrived?
What are we currently struggling to say, that cannot be said clearly?

steve d,