Could the Lua implementors provide some realistic example code (say, 100
lines or more solving a genuine, if cliched, problem) and explanation to
show how they intend the 'in' and 'loadin' features to be used?

I'm sure many of the experts on the list will know intuitively what they
can be used for, and why. I'm sure that many cunning uses will emerge
which the implementors might not have expected, or even anticpiated.

But it would be nice to get a feel for the "why and how" from the
implementors themsleves.

What would be really nice would be something not too far from a first
draft of the section about "in" which might appear in the Third Edition of
PiL :-) A guide, if you like, to the expected function, intention and
idiom of the new environment system, which seems to be the biggest
external change in the new release...