Hello,

I'm the lead developer for Bitfighter (http://bitfighter.org), written in C++ and Lunar, and have been working on creating Lua scripted robot players for a while. There is one script per robot, and several robots could be running the same script, or each could be running a different one. Typically, I would expect no more than 10 robots would exist at any time.

Currently, management is quite easy: we create a single Lua instance for each robot, each with a function that gets called one per game-cycle. Because they are running in their own instance, there is no possibility of one robot mucking up the environment of another, and it seems a very clean solution. When a robot is removed from the game, we simply delete the instance, and everything associated with that robot is gone.

Lately, however, I've been thinking about adding event listeners to the robots, in the form of a series of functions with a name like "onPlayerAdded(player)", "onShipKilled(ship, killer)", etc. that would be called from C++ as needed. This complicates things a bit because instead of calling each script once per game cycle, we might be calling different functions within the same script a dozen times each cycle. Multiplied over the number of robots, this becomes a lot of calls, and I'm afraid of the increasing overhead this might incur.

So I've been rethinking my original design, and am wondering if it might make sense to have the robots all running in a single process, which would get called once per event, with some sort of Lua management script calling the event handlers in each robot. Furthermore, management of timers and keeping track of which robots implement which listeners might be easier, as there could be one timer management script for all robots, rather than the current practice of one-per-robot. And it seems that keeping track of which robots implement which listener would be easier in Lua than in C++, which would also argue against the one-instance-per-bot design.

So the question is what is the best architecture for this sort of problem? My two key goals are maintaining adequate performance, and making the bot scripting as simple as possible, which would seem to imply that each robot should feel like it has it's own global namespace. How have others addressed this issue?

Thanks,

Chris