On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Quae Quack wrote:
> Wondering if roberto could modify lpeg to accept file handles as a subject
> for a match....
> or even allow custom functions that can return another chunk of string to
> match upon.....

See [1].

It might not be too hard to patch the code, adding an abstraction over
character access.  When I translated the Lua pattern library to Lua
[2], I allowed for strings to be replaced with abstractions of strings
(e.g. objects backed by an underlying file handle).

[2] http://lua-users.org/wiki/StringLibraryInLua