This, I think will break a *lot* of my code. Whilst I will be able to
work around most the problems it creates, it will make my existing C
code slower and bigger. Documentation changes for my app will be significant. I would have thought the proposed change would be
reserved for a major version change e.h. Lua 6

David B

Roberto Ierusalimschy wrote:
Note that in 5.1 the built-in per-thread data is not very useful, as you
cannot access it from Lua. (That is the main reason why we are removing
it).

In C, it is not difficult to use the thread itself as a key to store
per-thread data in the registry, if necessary.

-- Roberto