> I cant even remember the assertions output, but IIRC it was something along
> the lines of "maximum stack size exceeded". After compiling LPeg with
> NDEBUG, everything worked like a charm.

As far as I can tell, LPeg 0.9 has no assertion like this. Its
stack checks generate Lua errors, not assertion fails; moreover,
regular assertion fails do not produce specific messages, only
the offending code and its location. Is it possible that this
message was created by other parts of your program?

-- Roberto