Greetings, all.

I need a solution for encrypting and decrypting strings in Lua, preferably with the Rijndael cipher.

I started a binding to libtomcrypt (using AES and CTR), but I'm not sure this is what I want. I'm not sure how to compile the thing, which math library to link it with (libtommath, gnump, tomsfastmath...), or even which version of libtomcrypt to use, or which source of it to trust. I also don't see any evidence of recent activity surrounding it. It's home page appears to be abandoned. I downloaded version 1.16 from freshmeat; now I see 1.17 and 1.18 floating around as well... which left me feeling, you know, "not so fresh".
I'm finding many sources of doubt.

I'm also not sure about using OpenSSL for this purpose, although it does have the cipher I want to use.

What I would prefer is a small C library that does only what is needed. I'd just use a straight Rijndael cipher implemented in C, but I'm doubtful of my ability to do it correctly and safely.

Also, I see the pure Lua AES implementation, but I want a C binding.

I'd really appreciate any advice.

(No offense to sanooj, who advised me in this matter on freenode, and pointed me to libtomcrypt; this may well be the way to go, but I want to eliminate all doubt. Much respect.)

Many thanks.