It allows for an efficient implementation of the # operator. What
happens (I think) is that as positive indices are added to the table,
Lua searches for any index where t[index] exists and t[index + 1] is
nil. This saves traversing the whole table when adding one element,
which would be a performance hit.

As everyone says, keep your table hole-free and there will be no
problems. An alternative is table.maxn(): see
http://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#pdf-table.maxn

Vaughan